Wednesday 27 February 2013

The Seeds have arrived!

When I decided that I wanted to do this for my dissertation, I needed to find some seeds. I was looking on various orchid nursery websites, I wasn't sure if I wanted to grow terrestrial or Tropical. In the end, I contacted my old mentor from Kew Gardens, where the best place to get seeds from. He replied saying as it was for my dissertation, Kew would quite happily give them to me. The seeds that I was offered were Dactylorhiza seeds. At this point I am very happy!

I had to sign a contract to ensure that I do not sell or give the orchids without the "OK" from Kew gardens, so if any of you want them, you might have to wait a while before I can give you an answer. They need to grow first though!
Once all the paper work was done (it took ages), I sent it off and, one week later, I received a parcel.....



........EEEEEEEK!!!!

 Here they are with the envelope, in tiny little vials! with the note sent with it!
The numbers here are the batch numbers! 
 


Tiny, dust like seeds waiting to be germinated.


All photos where taken by me! 
They need to be kept in the fridge until I need them! And as I am still waiting for the medium, they'll probably be there for a while!!

No comments:

Post a Comment